72 Blackfriars Road, London SE1 8HA
Tel: 02076200811

About Us

Famously situated opposite the site of the historic home of British boxing and sharing its name, this compact pub certainly punches above its weight.

Pictures of the men who boxed at The Ring and went on to become World, European and British Champions adorn the walls.

There’s plenty of seating outside the pub, which is directly opposite Southwark tube station and acts as a great focal point, landmark and meeting place right on the corner of Blackfriars Road and The Cut.

  • 1783
    the surrey chapel was erected
  • 1910
    Purchased by champion Dick Burge
    Renamed The Ring
    First indoor boxing arena for working class
  • 1914
    dick's wife, bella, and her friends broke the taboo of women at boxing matches
  • 1940
    air rain on london, bombs hit blackfriars rd. and left the ring seriously damaged
  • 1941
    another air raid destroyed the ring it was eventually demolished